Pages

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The problem with peonies.

Hi friends.

Can we just talk about peonies for a minute? Like, how they have poor planning skills? Or something?

Exhibit A. Growing oh so very tall. So far so good. (P.S. I did not take any of these photos at the same time of the day each day that I took them. So even though every picture looks different from the next, it is indeed the same silly plant.)



Exhibit B. Something is starting to go wrong. The blooms that are about to emerge are starting to get heavy and they begin to sag towards the ground.



Exhibit C. The peony blossoms and does many face plants onto the grassy floor below. Cue sad, silly looking peonies.



Is there something I'm doing wrong? (Granted I'm doing nothing except watching these fools.) But it doesn't seem to be just MY problem - all over the neighborhood I see peonies looking like this! It happens to this particular plant every year. Perhaps it's an epidemic.

My pink peonies stay upright for the most part, so maybe it's only white peonies that are dysfunctional. Obviously I don't know much about these types of things...anyone out there have some gardening expertise for me?

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I have no clue, but that sure is strange. It seems like nature is usual the smartest of us all, so it's weird to see this sort of thing. I hope you get to the bottom of the mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This happens to all peonies. I've seen people put small fence like things around them to hold the flowers up. Something similar to a tomato cage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, maybe I should try some type of fence or cage type thing. They really do look so silly in the middle of our yard. The funny thing is that it didn't happen to my pink ones! But one side of the plant is up against the side of the house, so maybe that helps?

      Delete