Pages

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Farmers Market

Hi!


A couple of weeks ago I went to the Farmers Market for the first time. I know I know. Where have I been all my life? Well, better late than never I say and it was fun to have a new experience. 


And also fun to get a ton of fresh produce for only $9.


I of course meant to take pictures at the actual market, but didn't end up getting any until we got back to the house. (Is this my new fate as a blogger? During all activities I have this small voice in the back of my head saying, "You should be taking pictures of this and BLOGGING ABOUT IT!!!")


This is my sister and two cousins. They are helpful.










I got delicious golden wax beans, fresh spinach, a big bushel of basil, a garlic thing with a long stick still attached to it, plump little tomatoes....mmm. The first thing we did when we got back home was make mini pizzas with fresh veggies. Tasty.


But then I realized I had a problem. First of all, I didn't really know how to store all of this fresh produce. Which things need air and which things should be sealed tight? Which should be refrigerated? 


And I also had another problem. As I am not yet a very experienced or frequent cook, I didn't use everything fast enough. I did make a big patch of pesto and steamed a bunch of the beans to eat with a little butter, salt and pepper...


...but then a lot of it went bad.


(shamed face.)


I'm sorry farmers market! I am not worthy of you. Next time I should probably enlist the help of my friend Kris, who with her husband is always making delicious looking concoctions with fresh fruits and veggies. Kris and Wil, I salute you.


Speaking of things I don't know very much about...remember this post? Where I said I loved that the lady who lived here before us planted sunflowers so they come up every year?


Well. The other day my mom informed me that sunflowers are in fact annual plants and do NOT come up every year, and the reason why we have some this summer is because of the bird feeders we have hanging outside of our window. The messy birds throw the seeds all around and thus we have sunflowers.


I feel silly.


But you guys didn't judge me on my lack of plant knowledge, right?


Thanks. 

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm...I didn't know that about sunflowers either. I would always wonder why you don't see them often. Also, this is the third blog post I've read today that's mentioned homemade pizza. I'm thinking its a sign.

    ReplyDelete