Pages

Monday, December 5, 2011

It's that time of year again.

The time of year when I stand for too long outside of my car trying to unlock it with it's remote but my mittens are too bulky and I keep opening the trunk by mistake.


The time of year when we put that weird plastic stuff over our windows with a blowdryer (that our cats will inevitably poke holes in at some point while they watch birds in the feeder) to keep our house warmer and cheaper.


The time of year when I daily thank Jesus for our glorious two car garage and that I no longer have to curse my existence every morning as I scrape ice off the windshield with freezing fingers when I am already running late.


The time of year when commutes are doubled every time it snows.


The time of year when we put huge cement blocks in the trunk of my grandpamobile so that it doesn't slip and slide as much. (Except that we never actually took them out from last year so...check!)



The time of year when my fingers and toes routinely lose circulation and become white and frozen.

Proceeded by the time of year when I stock up on the huge boxes of hand and feet warmers from Costco.

Wait. Please remind me. Why do I love Minnesota?



The time of year when I come to accept that my winter coat is staying out of the closet and won't be going back in for quite some time.


The time of year when I stop caring about my outward physical appearance and caring only about my annual mission: to stay warm.


Even if it means looking like a neckless marshmallow.






As I was telling a friend the other day, I take staying warm very seriously.


That's a pic of me a few years ago in our old apartment, about to leave for work. Which was only a five minute drive away. 


Don't be deceived by the smile on my face. Winter is not my friend.


Winter. There I said it.


It's here.

No comments:

Post a Comment